Tuesday, January 20, 2009

...and it begins.

Like many of you out there, I watched a very historic moment today when President Obama became the most powerful person in the world. One day, I'd like to go on a bike ride with this fellow.

Mr Swift sent this my way. It's the story of the ubiquitous 'Hope' Obama street art poster.

The artist that created this poster (Shepard Fairey) was also the dude responsible for 'Andre the Giant has a posse'. As a matter of fact, on a recent ski lift ride I had a conversation with my SnoBro Jody about Shepard. They went to high school together and Jody told me the story behind the Andre stickers. It's pretty cool where you can go with some creative street art. And according to the whole 6 degrees of separation theory, I know Jody who knows Shepard who knows Obama (I think). So many my presidential bike ride won't be too far off after all.
In bike riding news, the weather here in Colorado is not that far off from the temps we experienced last week in Tucson. You can wear shorts and sleeveless jerseys here too - except there's snow on the ground in some shady places. Kinda strange to feel comfortable in sleeveless with the white stuff still on the ground. I'm not complaining. This is the best place to live in the world.
I had to take a shot of this cool freight train art that stopped in front of the house the other day. It says 'Bring us some brews' - this must have been a special message sent to me. And I hear your call. We'll be bringing brews to 10 (maybe 11) cities next year. That's a lot of brews.

And how about a little story on why the UAR is better than your typical marathon...Jackie and I woke up early on Sunday to drive 2 hours to Phoenix and hike Camelback Mountain before our flight out of town. We woke up at 4:30am on a Sunday to make this happen. Then we get into town and we realize that the 'Rock n Roll' marathon is happening. With 30,000 runners, this pretty much made it impossible to get around town. Soooo many streets were closed.
You see these mountains in the background of this photo? That's camelback. We were less than 2 miles from there - but we could not get there due to the race route. So why is the UAR better than the typical marathon? A few reasons: 1. bikes are cooler than hoofing it. Walking is for suckers. Don't you people know how much more efficient bikes are than running? 2. We don't close roads! we don't need no stinkin road closures to have fun. 3. Our riders go this way and that. Honestly, I don't get it. Why would you travel to a place like Phoenix to follow a herd of people down a street for 26.2 miles? I guess I could see running a marathon on the Great Wall of China, or maybe Hawaii, or through 5 boroughs in NYC. But Phoenix? Really? Well - to each their own. But I'll have you know - you thwarted our plans to hit up Jackie's favorite hike!

And...that's all I've got for you. Go Obama!

No comments:

Post a Comment