Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Giro


In Italian, this means Tour. Next to France, the Giro d'Italia is the big daddy. If I was a pro road racer, and I had the engine to be on a pro tour team, and I was selected to be in this race, I'd be really excited about a stage coming up soon.

On 5/21, there is a stage that finishes in Riomagiorrie. To those who have not had the opportunity to travel to Italy, Riomagiorrie is part of Cinque Terre.
The photo above is a photo of Cinque Terre. When I was a young lad, about to wrap up a degree at the University of Texas, I was gifted the chance to travel around Europe with my bicycle. I spent a good 1/3 of my journey studying the wine, beaches, girls, trails, and locals of Cinque Terre. Here was the daily routine: wake up around 8, eat a breakfast of yogurt/cappachino/cereal, go back to sleep, head to the beach to sort through the sea glass and meet my american/canadian traveler of the day, get some some, head back to the hotel to suit up for a ride, hit the roads/trails for the most beautiful rides of my life, shower - then meet my new friend for dinner/bottles of wine, kick it with Gian Carlo - the hotel's host and local partier. The next day, I'd do the same. For a single, bike-riding, wine drinking dude, it was just about heaven. A bottle of wine and good bike ride did the trick just about every day.

On our honeymoon trip, I took Jackie to Cinque Terre. We have travelled to many lands on this planet and this perhaps our favorite.
..And now, a Giro d'Italia stage finishes in Cinque Terre. I would be lying if I said I was not jealous. It's an individual time trial. The climbs are not too steep and the decents (if my memory serves me correct are VERY technical). AND it's probably going to take about 1 1/2 hours to compete. Man - I wish I were in this race. I know that Gian Carlo would have some grappa and incredible bread waiting for me at the finish.

I'll be watching the stage here. You can too. Please do. It'll make the world a better place

No comments:

Post a Comment