Monday, March 31, 2008

Motivation

Riding is a priority at Adventure Fit and we are fortunate enough to make our own schedule. This is cool, but mid-day rides often mean riding solo. To me, the social aspect of cycling is really important. I remember the days as a pro MTBer when I had roommates who rode, neighbors who rode...it was never hard to find a fast riding partner. Now things are a bit different and I usually ride solo. This has its advantages - time to think, a chance to listen to your music, ride as fast or as slow as you like...but it gets a little old sometimes. There's something to be said for a ride when everybody is trying to rip each others legs off.
So for those days it's hard to get out of the door, I've learned some helpful tips:
  • Change something about your riding set up. it's fun to test out some new shorts, a new handlebar, bike computer - anything really. And it doesn't have to be expensive. Maybe a new set of cleats on your shoes or even a fresh tune up or new chain lube. It's a great excuse to get more bike gear - and it's a reason to ride.
  • Music. I've been taking music along on rides even when I had to haul around a Sony Sports Walkman cassette player (remember those big yellow ones?) Music makes me ride faster and harder and is a huge motivator. These days, it's real simple - just download a new album and you're good to go. Maybe a new playlist could do the trick too. Today I listened to two Black Mountain albums during the ride.
  • Perspective. I just got back from a 2 week trip to the Midwest and I only had a chance to ride a few times. And one was on a spin bike. Yay. I couldn't wait to get back on the bike. So when I'm feeling unmotivated - I think about what it would be like to have a life where I couldn't ride. We are very fortunate to have the health, freedom, roads/trails, and gear to ride.
  • 2008 Tour of California. If these guys can ride multiple days in 40 degrees and pouring rain for almost 7 hours each day, I can get out much nicer conditions and put in a couple hours. The 2008 ToC was one of those days it makes you happy you're not a pro-roadie.

No comments:

Post a Comment