Sunday, August 3, 2008

14,255 ft

I finally climbed the mountain that I see everyday when I look out my front door. Longs Peak is in Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a very exciting, yet tiring experience. Almost 11 hours of hiking. Check it out...
The alarm went off at 2:30 am. That's right. You have to get an early start on the ride so that you get down before the afternoon storms come in. We hit the trail at 4:30 am - and still got completely soaked in the rain for 1:30 of the decent.
All in all, we had great weather. The trail was beautiful.
We inadvertently took a longer route to the summit and added a couple hours of scrambling. It was fun, but we felt it on the way down.
Jeff and I celebrated with a can of Fat Tire at the summit. Then I took a nap. The top of Long's Peak was as big as a football field.
A view from the top. WAY off in the distance is my house. 14,255 ft with 360 degree views. This is the tallest peak in Rocky Mountain National Park.
Here's the bottom of the boulder field looking up at the keyhole. This point is about 1/2 way.
And here's a Columbine flower in the rain on the way back down. It's the Colorado state flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment