Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fall is here, hear the elk.

Today was one of those perfect weather days in Colorado. It's the reason we live in here. The leaves are starting to change and the nights are in the low 40's. When this time of year comes, Jackie sings, "Fall is here, hear the elk". It's from the White Stripes song "We are gonna be friends" - you know...the one at the beginning of Napolean Dynamite. You see, we had this debate. Jackie was sure Jack White was singing about Elk - as they mate in the Fall and make lots of calls to attract Lady Elk. I couldn't tell what he was saying, but I was pretty sure it was not about mating elk. Turns out I was right, but it still makes for a great little laugh nonetheless.

So, on this lovely fall day, Hans (our man of course direction and biodiesel truck maneuvering) left for Minneapolis. It's a two day drive and it's the last big trip of the season. We wished 'bon voyage', bright and early this AM.
I again felt like a Dad watching my kid head off to school. Happy driving Hans.
Then, after spending way too much time in front of the computer, I headed out on a ride. Into Lyons for some 'frodin' at Hall. The colors were starting to show...

But, it was one of those days when I wasn't feeling 100%. I hit the dirt for a bit, then decided to head back to Longmont. It felt good to be out, but I thought rest was more important before a big weekend (MPLS will be our biggest 1st year event ever!).
I almost got a ride home, but decided to tough it out. And it's a good thing too. I saw this little guy heading towards the busy highway 66.
I've turned more than a couple turtles around in my day. I suppose they look for better waters, or perhaps are sowing their turtle oats. But I hate to see cracked turtle shells on the highway. So despite this fellow's large talons, I turned him around towards the closest body of water (which was about 10' away). He snapped at me a couple times, but I was behind him. Silly little guy. Then I saw his tail.
He must have been of the prehistoric crocodialian turtle genus. It was a scary tail indeed. I hope he wasn't escaping the lake due to embarrassment over his enormous tail.

So, you know... just another adventure on the bike. Saving turtles, looking at leaves. That's how we roll out here. Lots of fun.

Tomorrow is the last ride until we head out of town. I'm thinking about heading up to Ward - a classic Boulder County ride. I gotta train for the ride with GeneO from One on One on Friday. Anybody in MPLS want to come along for a MTB ride in the AM?

2 comments:

  1. Minneapolis is getting stoked!

    can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Minneapolis! We're so happy you are here!

    ReplyDelete