Sunday, December 21, 2008

holidaze

It's that crazy time of the year again when liquor stores experience their biggest sales, family and friends get together to drink and strange things like nog and food logs. Holiday movies are o'plenty - in fact we've watched Elf, A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, and others which I'm ashamed to mention. It's a fun time indeed - the last blow out before everybody gets down to business for the new year. I'm very much looking forward to the start of 2009. But until then, I've been doing everything I can to make 2008 memorable.
Our friend Jody decided to take a break before the birth of his 2nd child and came to visit. We decided to see how much ice we could collect on our facial hairs. We hit Winter Park and Eldora and entertained our selves on the lift rides with some whiskey and told many stories of lore.

As we rode down trails called "Lonesone Whistle", "Hornblower", and "Jolly Jug" - we decided we could come up with much better names if they called upon us for our creativity. Our favorite creations were mostly innapropriate for this blog (we try to keep it non-offensive) but let's just say that we were influenced by the glorious name calling from the movie Anchorman (Smelly Pirate Hooker, Nostril-singeing Stench, Great Odin's Raven - for example). We also decided there needs to be a new movie with Will Ferrell staring as a Viking. In fact, just mentioning his name necessitates a short list of my favorite lesser known moments: as W Bush, Will and Lance, Will and Sacha, she likes the mustache. You're welcome.

A couple more photos as of late:
Jackie testing out her new heated gloves. They work by the way. She was warm and toasty in 15 degrees.
A special sweet treat. And I decided from now on, I will only eat desserts that resemble bicycles. It's kinda like training.
I bet Jody that he couldn't push this rock down into the creek. He tried to show me otherwise - much to his dismay. After the hike he was doing some stretching in our living room. We started talking about yoga and he turns to Jackie and says, "Hey Jackie, can you put your leg behind your head?" I gave him the stink eye.
It reminded me of the time we were getting out of a concert in Boulder and there's this girl doing a back bend on the side walk. She's wearing a short skirt and she's busting out all over the place. She comes out of the backbend and says to the guy next to here "See! I told you I could do a backbend!" He kinda smirks and looks around and says, "Wow..you're right! You sure got me on that one". Jackie didn't demonstrate her flexibility. She is an avid yoga practitioner - but she can't be fooled.

Regarding bikes...not a lot of riding lately. It's currently 8 degrees - in the middle of the afternoon. It's been rather chilly. So for all of you in warmer climates, go ahead and send my your riding photos and stories. I want to remember what it's like to ride.

I did read the book Dog in a Hat. It was a story of a pro cyclist living the not-so-glamourous life of a pro in the late 80's and 90's. I'm a bike geek so I read it in a couple days and it kept me pretty darn entertained.

Also this is cool:

It's a 3-wheeled car that gets 250-300 mpg and will soon be available for $28K. It has solar panels for heating and cooling, a big cargo area, and is super aero. It's nice to see that innovations are being made in this industry. Now let's see what mounting a bike would do to the fuel efficiency.

And for all you folks that take care of your lawns, here's something to make you feel guilty if you use a gas mower:
Looks like it's time to get a workout and go old school. But here's something even better:
I want that!


Ok...time to get ready to ride. Let's see what 8 degrees feels like at 25 MPH.

No comments:

Post a Comment